We are thrilled to annouce the arrival of our son, Will Roswell, on Saturday, Nov. 28th at 4:47 pm. He is a precious, content, beautiful baby. Will is a name we've always liked. DH's dad's name is William. And come to find later on that Will is the combination of our father's names. DH's dad goes by Bill and my dad's name is Wayne. Roswell is a family name from my Mom's side. The name goes back as far as 200 years ago. My great-grandfather was George Roswell Jr, his dad George Roswell Sr, and even farther back there are greats named Roswell.
I know most new moms post about their delivery experience. I'll try to keep ours brief.
The day after Thanksgiving we had a bio physical ultrasound and an amniocentisis performed. The amnio was performed to see if his lungs were mature enough to deliver. With my poly my OB doctor didn't want to wait any longer if his lungs were developed. The amnio test came back later that afternoon that showed that his lungs were ready. We were scheduled to be induced that next day, Saturday, at 9 am.
By his crib before leaving for the hospital.
Surprisingly we slept better Friday night than Thursday as we were now prepared for induction. There was talk with our OB doc to induce that same night as our amnio and ultrasound so Thurs night we didn't sleep too well not knowing what was to come.
9 am comes and we are registered and checked in. My OB doc is on call today so I'm happy & relieved to know that she can deliver Will. They started me on pitocin at 11:15 and I started to feel a few signs of contractions. No pain just tense uterus contractions. DH and I are being patient as we know that pitocin will take all day to induce me. I have some lunch and just hang out. At about 2:30 pm the monitors start to show baby Will not tolerating the harder contractions I'm getting. Turning me on my sides isn't helping. My OB doc comes in, stops the pitocin drip, and does an exam. I'm only dilated 1-2 cm and she can feel baby's head and umbilical cord. She thinks it is too risky to continue with a vaginal delivery with the umbilical cord right there and because of my poly. SO.... I now prepare myself for a C-section. Around 4 pm they start to prepare me for surgery.
With DH being a resident and also training in Anesthesia he was allowed to come in while they prepped me for my spinal. He was great as he explained to me everything that would be happening. I was awake for the birth of Will and am thankful for that.
At 4:47 pm Will entered our life! He was crying and breathing just fine, and of course was beautiful. After he was delivered, my doctor saw that his umbilical cord had a knot in it. She also noticed that his cord had a vilamentous insertion into my uterus, which means that the cord didn't insert correctly and had some free standing vessels. As it turns out, it was a good thing that I did have the c-section.
Shortly after birth, when they were examining Will, they found they weren't able to slide a tube all the way down to his stomach. With xray they saw that his esophagus didn't go all the way down to his stomach. It is called a tracheal-esophageal-fistula, or TEF for short. It basically means that the top part of his esophagus ends in a blind pouch about halfway down and the bottom part of his esophagus went from his trachea to his stomach. This can be associated with the polyhydramnios that I had.
Will was taken to the NICU for close monitoring and we found out that he would need surgery soon to fix his esophagus and connect to two parts.
Seeing Will in the NICU after my 2 hour post surgery
Mommy holding Will for the 1st time.

1 comment:
Love your pictures of your brand new baby Will! We are constantly praying for you and thinking of you all.
Love,
Beau and JeanAnn
Post a Comment