We have been preparing to list our house this week. Carpets cleaned today, pictures being taken on Thursday, a possible showing this weekend before the house is even on the market. So there's lots cleaning and de-cluttering that is keeping me busy.
Maybe it's the weather. Just today we got over a foot of snow. But the kids are a handful lately. We think Evie might be working on some more teeth. She's had a bad week of fussiness. And Will I feel like has turned the corner from toddler boy to little boy. He is loud and rambunctious and full of "whys". We are super heros, dinosaurs, dragons, sword-fighting, fort-builder, karate-kicking, wrestling mania-kind-of-boy. I don't know how many times in a day I have to tell him not to jump off the furniture or look out for his sister.
Just today I had a tall, stand alone fan in the living room helping to dry our carpet. While I was busy changing Evie's diaper I hear a "high-ya" and bang. I come out to find a broken fan and a beat up wall. {Ugh} And all I could think to myself as I am cleaning up the mess is "this will happen in our new house. And I will be ok with it." I am reminding myself of this alot. I am going to be ok with the new dents and dings in our new house.
Because I am a mother to two kids. I am a mother to fun, spirited children. That's who they are. My kids live in the house. They will live in every single room of the house. That is why I went with a rustic, worn in look for my hardwoods. Because I know there will be added dings and scrapes from my kids and it will just add to the already hand-scraped look of the floors.
We make messes and we have fun making messes. We pick up our toys before naps and before bed, but not all throughout the day. We can see ourselves painting on the porch and playing with shaving cream in the bathroom mirror. And not wasting time feeling stressed about a stain. This house of ours, when it is finished, is going to be a place where we are always living. This house is for growing boys and girls. I expect it to look like little kids live there. And that’s what we’ve hoped for. Because when they’re grown up, I want them to remember me as the mom who could let the messes go, and wasn’t always on them to keep our house looking magazine-perfect. I want them to remember that I was willing to initiate a big mess just to make a memory. And I want them to remember that they felt at home and comfortable in the home where they grew up.
![]() |
| My lil Super Will |

1 comment:
Yep! Time for Will to come spend some time at the farm. Hope the weather cooperates so we can spend lots of time outside!!
Post a Comment