Thursday, December 18, 2008

Home Safe

DH and I arrived home from Madison, WI late last night. He had a very nice interview at the UW. Last minute I decided to go along to help with the 7 hour drive. Thankfully our road conditions weren't too bad. On the way there we had drifting snow across the interstate but not sticking. And on the way home the roads were all clear. And luckily we arrived in Madison before the snow really started to come down. They received 5" the night we arrived. And I must admit that we rode in high class. No, not our vehicle but all the gadgets inside our vehicle. We had Gar (DH's name for our Garmin), our i-pod, and Internet access with us. The night before we took off I went and bought an inexpensive device that allowed me to get Internet through my cellphone and into my laptop along with a cigarette lighter laptop charger so nothing was low on battery. This way I didn't miss a beat with work! And it made the 14 hours driving of the 38 hour trip go much faster.

Now back to Gar. I think she shows favoritism to DH. Gar and I had some misunderstandings in Madison and we working on our relationship. First of all, Madison downtown area is pretty confusing. And that is where we stayed. So yesterday as DH interviewed, I took a little time away from work to check out a shopping mall. Of course I have to see how the shopping is if I'm suppose to live here for 4 years. I get into the car and punch in my destination. But Gar didn't want to talk to me. Honestly! I sat there in the car waiting for her to tell me the directions. So, what did I do? I got impatient and left without her telling me what way to turn. And that is were our relationship went sour. After 5 minutes and me already being lost she must have felt sorry for me and started speaking the right turn signals and street names. I did arrive to my shopping mall with only one other hiccup. But I think I bruised our relationship for then on the way home, Gar made me miss my turn off for the hotel and I had to drive around a few extra blocks. After this trip I realize that Gar has an alter-ego named Minny. I am going to keep working with Gar to better our understandings. But I won't be surprised if Minny makes an appearance til then.

Anyways - DH and I were both impressed with the residents, doctors and program at Madison. We are realizing that our decision on how to rank these programs later on will be difficult.

Up next -- tomorrow DH interviews here in town for the transitional year of residency. And then it is off to Mtown to celebrate Christmas with DH's family!!

No comments: