Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Turning 32

This Sunday I turned 32. My last night as 31, DH leaned over and said, "Are you ready to turn 32 tomorrow?". And my response was of course, "ugg" with a big sigh. Then DH went on to say, "oh come on. It's not that bad. Think of it as being blessed for 32 years." And he is absolutely right. The past two weeks we have learned about some young couples and families struggling with the unthinkable. A 33-year-old, father of two, the children the same age as ours, was killed in a plane crash close to my hometown. And another family in Madison, WI whom were friends of friends; tragically the husband and wife ( 33 years old) passed away in a car accident, leaving behind two young kids under the age of 2. Although I didn't know any of these families personally, my heart was heavy with the sad news.

So I am forever now looking at birthdays as blessings. And I had a blessed birthday. It was a busy day, but fun. DH was on call so he stayed home. But I took the kids down to the farm. We went to church, had a great lunch and then went to my sister-in-law's Discovery Toy party. After the party we drove home to meet DH and go to a neighborhood Easter Egg hunt. (the weather here has been really cold every Sunday they've tried to plan it). On Monday, Cinco de Mayo, DH was off and we had a more relaxing day as a family. That evening we went out for margaritas and mexican to celebrate my birthday and the holiday.


1 comment:

grandma d said...

Birthday Blessings--so very true! I have never thought of it in those terms. What a wonderful mindset to have! We are blessed each and every day. Thanks for the insight!!